ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

FYI: First OLPC deployment: now it’s real...

This week, Uruguay became the first-ever real, non-pilot deployment
site of OLPC XO laptops. And I was there to hand out the first one.

A bit of backstory
Early on, when talking to countries interested in OLPC laptops, we
heard one serious concern repeatedly: theft. In places where the price
of an XO is several times larger than the annual per capita income,
the laptop is an obvious target. To mitigate the issue, the Bitfrost
security platform features a three-prong theft deterrence system;
without going into too much detail (more information is available),
one key protection feature deters XO theft in the delivery chain by
deactivating the laptops when they leave the factory. Until they're
activated at the target school with keys that are delivered out of
band, the laptops are non-functional bricks.

A couple of months ago, we were picking apart the deployment details
of this scheme in a security review with Nicholas and Walter. The
scheme requires certain logistical information to be available: either
we have to know where laptops are heading somewhat in advance so
activation keys can be generated and delivered, or trusted deployment
teams have to scan laptop barcodes once they arrive at each school. I
was given good assurances that enough information will be available to
allow everything to proceed smoothly, but in attempting to establish
the worst-case scenario, I might have asked "how can we be sure?" one
time too many. Eventually, Nicholas responded with "well, we'll just
mail you along with the first laptop shipment, and then you can be
sure just how things will work." And thus, when Uruguay officially
became the first country to place an order for XO laptops, OLPC
purchased a ticket that had me landing in Montevideo, the capital, the
same day as the first batch of machines. My mission: make sure nothing
breaks. Translation: when something breaks, fix it.
http://radian.org/notebook/first-deployment

--
http://olpc.ellak.gr

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων