ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[olpc-gr] FYI: Former OLPC CTO predicts a $75 laptop by 2010

February 17, 2008 (IDG News Service)  Mary Lou Jepsen stirred up a
controversy when she left the One Laptop Per Child nonprofit effort in
December to start her own for-profit company, Pixel Qi, with the goal
to create a $75 laptop using technologies she invented at OLPC.

Jepsen's departure as chief technology officer prompted critics to
accuse her of taking advantage of OLPC's nonprofit inventions for
personal gain, but supporters shot back, saying it was the right time
for her to leave a listing ship. OLPC has been afflicted by production
delays and rising costs over the years, with the laptop's estimated
price rising from $100 to $188. It is now beset by waning orders and
competition from commercial vendors like Intel Corp. that threaten to
sideline the nonprofit effort.

Is there a release date for the $75 laptop? It's not that hard. It
will take about two years. Realistically, it does need that time
because what you have to do first is make the components and then you
put them together. At OLPC, it took three years because we had to
start with the disbelief, but now people believe. Now cut that down to
about two years, it's about reasonable. It's 2010 we're looking at.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9063079&pageNumber=1

--
http://karounos.gr/blog/

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων