ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[olpc-gr] UK: Educational IT agency: 'Microsoft tax' unacceptable

The British educational IT agency Becta says it is not acceptable that
schools using GNU/Linux and OpenOffice are required to pay Microsoft
licensing fees. Becta brought the issue to the attention of the
European Commission.

In an interview with the UK IT website Computerworld, Stephen Lucy,
Becta executive director, says his organisation wants to prevent
schools from being disadvantaged by restrictive licensing agreements
imposed by a dominant player.

"Schools using Microsoft's School Agreement licensing model, are
required to pay Microsoft licensing fees for computers based on Linux,
or using OpenOffice. Finding ourselves in a position whereby a school
pays (say) 169 GBP (216 euro) for a device only to be faced with for
example a 30 GBP (39 euro) per year after year payment to Microsoft,
for a system that is not running any of their software would just not
be acceptable to Becta. Indeed I don't think many people would
consider that fair."

According to the Computerworld interview, this is one of the issues
Becta raised with UK Office of Fair Trading (OFT) in October 2007.
Lucy says his organisation in January this year contacted the European
Commission "to ensure that the interoperability matters we had
initially referred to the OFT are now addressed by the Commission's
new investigation."
http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7541/469

--
http://olpc.ellak.gr