ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[olpc-gr] OLPC: The power of Sugar, a slightly philosophical view...

While reading one of the hundreds of e-mails related to OLPC that I've
been finding in my inbox these past few days I realized something:
When we're talking about "Sugar" everyone seems to have a different
idea of just what it is. Obviously the lack of a clear understanding
of "Sugar" make every discussion about it that much harder.
There are several different perceptions of what "Sugar" is or at least
should be. The three most popular ones seem to be:

(1) Sugar is the User Interface. It's all about the UI and how
information is presented to the user. It's also a tailored UI in that
it's very much adapted to the target user group, children, instead of
the jack-of-all-trades software solutions that we're used to.

(2) Sugar is really the technology developed for OLPC. It's the
underlying services used on the XO such as collaboration, the presence
service, the data store and so on.

(3) Sugar is the overall user experience on the XO. It's been argued
that Sugar really is the combination of both the UI and the underlying
technologies and that separating one entity from the other would break
the whole concept.

Here is my (slightly philosophical) take on the situation: Sugar is a
"gravitational force" when it comes to developing software, content
and services for educational purposes.
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/the_power_of_sugar.html

--
http://karounos.gr/blog/