ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[Fwd: [announce] Installation project: New initiative to use the systems installationmechanism]

  • Subject: [Fwd: [announce] Installation project: New initiative to use the systems installationmechanism]
  • From: Theodoros Karounos <karounos [ at ] grnet [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:49:12 +0200
-------- Original Message --------
From: Christof Pintaske - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
<Christof [ dot ] Pintaske [ at ] sun [ dot ] com>
Subject: [announce] Installation project: New initiative to use the systems
installationmechanism
To: announce [ at ] openoffice [ dot ] org
CC: dev [ at ] installation [ dot ] openoffice [ dot ] org,
dev [ at ] porting [ dot ] openoffice [ dot ] org,dev [ at ] openoffice [ dot ] org
Newsgroups: openoffice.announce

Subject: Announcement of a new initiative of the installation project.

Hello All,

currently the installation of the OpenOffice.org suite is done by
running the setup application, which provides a cross platform graphical
user interface that wizards the user through all phases of the setup
process.
Though this has been proven to be as painless as possible, even for
novice users, it does not integrate very well with the different
installation standards found on the various operating systems. It is
neither possible to install or uninstall OpenOffice.org using the
systems installer nor does it appear in the list of installed packages.

To make OpenOffice.org a well behaved citizen on your harddisk we want
the systems native installer to become the default way to install,
modify, or uninstall OpenOffice.org on your computer. Just like any
other package you install.

Beyond that we expect the installation process to become more robust.
Relying on the native installer means that the setup process cannot fail
for bootstrapping reasons. We hope that this eases porting and testing
of new builds as well. A further motivation for this move is to simplify
unattended installation.

We are investigating the possibilities to build installations based on

     - Microsoft Installer (MSI) on Windows platforms
     - RedHat Package Manager (RPM) packages on Linux
     - Solaris Packages (PKG) on Solaris

nevertheless we expect our new 'yet to be build' setup tooling to be
open to support all other package formats including but not limited to

     - Debian packages
     - FreeBSD packages
     - Generic packages (tar / tar.gz)
     - MacOS X packages

We want to make all this happen based on the OpenOffice.org Trunk
(src66x, see
http://tools.openoffice.org/releases/OpenOffice_org_trunk.html) codeline.

Some more information can be found here:
http://installation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList.

To make this project a success we want you to join. If you are a porter
please tell us about the requirements of your system, tell us about what
your are doing now to get things installed. If you already create native
packages (many Linux distros do so) please speak up, too.

I'm looking forward for your feedback
Christof