ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Computerworld | Novell Australia leads global Linux migration, dumps MS Office

Novell's local operation is taking a leading role in an ambitious year-long plan to move all the company's 6000 worldwide staff onto Linux desktops.

The migration, which will see staff across the globe using SuSE Linux systems running OpenOffice, is partly motivated by broader commercial concerns. Novell completed its $US210 million acquisition of SuSE in January this year, and the company wants to use itself as a showcase for both SuSE and Ximian, which it also purchased last year.

However, Novell Asia Pacific CIO Sam Gennaoui said that there was also a basic financial argument for the shift. "We are like any other company; we still have ROIs to deliver," he said.

Around 90 per cent all of the company's 350 Asia-Pacific staff, half of whom are based in Australia, have started using OpenOffice as a replacement for Microsoft's Office suite.

Reaction so far has been positive. "There always tends to be some pushback from users, but there's a sense of willingness to embrace the new technology," Gennaoui said. The local operation is "way ahead of the movement" in the rest of Novell, he added. "We have a smaller base of users and we're more flexible."

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;526044789;fp;16;fpid;0

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων