ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: GNU glibc locales and CLDR Questions ...

Στις 04/Μάρ/2005, ημέρα Παρασκευή και ώρα 10:23, ο/η Markus Kuhn έγραψε:
> Simos Xenitellis wrote on 2005-02-14 23:19 UTC:
> > officially in Greece we have the 12-hour clock
>
> Even in formal written communication, e.g. on bus/train time tables and
> airport tickets? I have a hard time believing that.
>
> What does "officially" mean? Does Greece have any other standard for
> time notation than ELOT EN 28601?

I wonder if you actually have a copy of ELOT EN 28601 as we don't have.
Perhaps you have a copy of the 28601 European Standard?

My source is the EU Publication service, at
http://publications.eu.int/code/el/el-4100800el.htm

> Is a significant fraction of the Greek population unfamiliar with what
> 23:59 means?

I would answer empirically here as I do not have statistical
information. In everyday life people use the 12-hour notation.

Do a search for "μμ" (see below) on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%CE%BC%CE%BC&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:el-GR:official

You get over 500.000 hits. "μμ" is not used as shortcut for something
else, so almost all hits count.

> How do you write AM and PM traditionally using the Greek alphabet?

am/AM is πμ/ΠΜ (προ μεσημβρίας)
pm/PM is μμ/ΜΜ (μετά μεσημβρίας)

> Why would you want to go back to something as broken and troublesome as
> the 12-h time-of-day notation on a computer?

I am trying my best for my language.

If you can retrieve either standard:
a. ELOT EN 28601
b. European Standard 28601
I would be happy to read them and figure out what is better.

> Exercise: When is 12:00 AM today?
That was about 4 hours and a half ago.

I am cc:ing a Greek mailing list. Anyone has any contact at all with the
guys at elot.gr to help out...?

Simos

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων