ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

OpenOffice.org Newsletter - Volume 04 - Issue 7 - 01/2007

Contents

1. Announcements
----------------
* The ODF Toolkit Project
* ODF Toolkit – What is it going to be

2. Success Stories
------------------
* French Ministry saved 1.2M Euros with OpenOffice.org
* Italy adopts OpenDocument as a National Standard
* Province in the northeast of Argentina adopts ODF
* South African CSIR adopts ODF
* Indian state Tamil Nadu adopts open source

3. Featured News
----------------
* Successful Community Project: Smart Tags
* "OpenOffice.org Aqua : Top 10 of issues to be fixed before public release"
* New EU report about the impact of open source
* Report about OpenOffice.org's adoption
* "UK government agency tells schools to ignore Vista"

4. Tips & Tricks
----------------
* Free online OpenOffice.org tutorials
* A Matter Of Styles
* Bruce Byfield about the customization of settings
* Bruce Byfield about formatting cells in Calc
* Fuzzy logic extension for OpenOffice.org
* ODF and the statistical package R

5. OpenDocument News Roundup
6. Clippings

All news for this month can be found at:
http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_ooonewsletter_archive.html

Want to help OpenOffice.org?  Find out hot to contribute or see our
To Do List!!

http://www.openoffice.org/contributing.html
http://development.openoffice.org/todo.html

Announcements

The ODF Toolkit Project
-----------------------
"The future of OpenOffice.org extends beyond the office suite. With the
creation of our new ODF Toolkit Project
(http://odftoolkit.openoffice.org/),
which we are announcing today, we are inviting developers everywhere to
take the source of the world's leading Free and Open office productivity
suite in bold new directions. These may include technologies that engage
tools for collaboration, communication and content creation of every kind;
tools that will complement and even transcend the already powerful
productivity suite. The anchor of this new project is the OpenDocument
Format (ODF), the ISO and OASIS standard format for office applications
and the most flexible and adaptable format for the future."

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=314

ODF Toolkit – What is it going to be
to participate in all the upcoming discussions. Bring in your ideas,
your man power and help that this project becomes a success."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/odf_toolkit_what_is_it

Success Stories

French Ministry saved 1.2M Euros with OpenOffice.org
"According to this French article the French Ministry of Agriculture and
Fishing saved 1.2M Euros with OpenOffice.org. The switch to OpenOffice.org
cost them 1.5M Euros, but the renewal of Microsoft Office licenses would
have cost them 2.7M Euros."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/french_ministry_saved_1_2m

Italy adopts OpenDocument as a National Standard
"Italy has adopted The OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 23600) as a national
standard."

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/1/29/13965

Province in the northeast of Argentina adopts ODF
"Misiones, a province in the northeast of Argentina, became the first
regional government in Latin America to adopt ODF."

http://www.odfalliance.org/mail_list.php

South African CSIR adopts ODF
-----------------------------
"CSIR President and CEO Dr Sibusiso Sibisi, a well-known proponent of
OSS and the driving force behind the CSIR's adoption, said "the open
document standards are of prime importance for allowing open access to
information, now and in the future. By using open document standards to
store our data, the CSIR is not locked into a specific vendor that
developed and implemented a proprietary standard, thus eliminating the
risk of not being able to access current data in future when such a
standard may cease to be supported."

"The maturity of OpenOffice, a powerful open source office suite that
implements ODF, has in turn enabled the CSIR to adopt ODF without
major obstacles," he said."

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1335

Indian state Tamil Nadu adopts open source
"According to this Spanish article the government of the state of Tamil
Nadu in India has made the decision to migrate 99% of his Windows
systems to open source software in 2007. 30,000 government employees
are expected to switch to OpenOffice.org."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/open_source_adoption_by_indian

Featured News

Successful Community Project: Smart Tags
"It is my pleasure to announce a successful community project: Jakob
Lechner of Fabalabs Software GmbH made a great code contribution that
allows to register external components that can be used to add Smart Tags
to your Writer Documents."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/successful_community_project_smart_tags

"OpenOffice.org Aqua : Top 10 of issues to be fixed before public release"
"During 19th January meeting it was proposed the Top 10 of issues before
public release.
Means, once fixed those 10 issues, a public version of OpenOffice.org for
Mac OS X, running natively, without X11, will be available for download."

http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/2007/01/openofficeorg-aqua-top-10-of-issues-to.html

New EU report about the impact of open source
A new report about the impact of open source has been published by the EU.
Here are a few hightlights:

* According to figure 12 on page 29 OpenOffice.org is more popular than
  Samba within European public bodies.

* According to table 1 on page 31 more than 90% of the surveyed Brazilian
  government organization and more than 70% of the Indian government
  organizations are using OpenOffice.org.

* According to paragraph 6.2.3.8 on page 35 a market share of 8% in
  German businesses is estimated for OpenOffice.org.

* Quote from page 102: "Indeed, the group of users was also asked
  whether as a result of the experimentation they thought they could do
  with OpenOffice the same amount of work they could do with Microsoft
  Office. As shown in Figure 46, under 10% of respondents thought they
  could not, more than 20% thought they definitely could perform as well
  with OpenOffice, while almost 60% thought they could be as productive
  with OpenOffice (as confirmed by the time-use analysis) though with
  some problems. Given their previous lack of experience with OpenOffice
  the fact that problems were subjectively perceived is unsurprising,
  but the fact that objectively the productivity of users remained the
  same and did not reduce is important."

* An interesting read is also table 45, "Conclusions from the comparison
  of the usage of OOo and MSO in the organizations", on page 244.

The PDF document can be found here:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flossimpact.pdf

Report about OpenOffice.org's adoption
--------------------------------------
"The FOSS Observatory (Observatoire du logiciel libre  (french link))
has published a report (the PDF document) concerning the progress of the
adoption of some FOSS. Their study is based on the demand of training
instead of the number of licenses sold, which is more interesting for
this type of software and which allows to measure the interest of
companies and administrations for them. This report points out that
Openoffice"

http://lebasket.free.fr/blog/index.php?2007/01/25/7-report-about-ooo-s-adoption

"UK government agency tells schools to ignore Vista"
"The UK government agency responsible for technology in education has
warned schools and colleges against deploying Microsoft Corp's Windows
Vista and Office 2007 products, noting that for Vista especially 'the
risks are high, and the benefits are far from clear.'"

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/uk_government_agency_tells_schools

Tips & Tricks

Free online OpenOffice.org tutorials
------------------------------------
"Today In Pictures launched its new line of free computer how-to
tutorials, available at www.inpics.net. There are 12 online tutorials,
including OpenOffice.org. The tutorials can be used by anyone, free of
charge."

http://ooonewsletter.blogspot.com/2007/01/free-online-openoffice-tutorials.html

A Matter Of Styles
------------------
" In my last blog about the Writer project I talked about ideas to avoid
the explicit usage of styles for some functions in Writer because
understanding styles (especially page styles) shouldn't be a necessary
precondition to use these functions. In some of the replies I received it
was suggested to strengthen the use of styles and to use them even more.
Fine, I don't see a contradiction here! We can think about new and better
ways to use styles for more productive work – if we still make sure that
all functions that not really need styles can be used without them."

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/date/20070115

Bruce Byfield about the customization of settings
"Frankly, the logic with which options are arranged in tabs under these
headings is a little elusive. For that reason, when looking to customize
OOo, you should not just look at any tab whose name seems related to
your purpose, but scan all of them for additional features. This
necessity becomes obvious when you consider four common use-cases:
setting automated features, reducing memory requirements, setting
security options, and enabling assistive options -- although none of
these by any means exhausts the array of options that OpenOffice.org
makes available."

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000170

Bruce Byfield about formatting cells in Calc
"Certainly, few people worry about their layout than the layout of text
documents. Still, even if you share this attitude, learning the basic
formatting options for cells in OpenOffice.org Calc can be worth your
time. Many of the options directly effect how you interact with
spreadsheets, and even the purely visual ones can make your lists and
calculations easier to read at a glance."

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000154

Fuzzy logic extension for OpenOffice.org
"InrecoLAN FuzzyMath allows to use uncertain or approximate values in
OpenOffice.org Calc. It means with InrecoLAN FuzzyMath you can perform
ordinary arithmetic operations and use ordinary mathematical and
financial functions with uncertain values as if they are standard, or
crisp, numbers."

http://www.openfuzzymath.org/

ODF and the statistical package R
---------------------------------
"For those of you who like OpenOffice.org and have to do a lot of
statistical analysis might find the odfWeave package interesting. This R
newsletter includes a short tutorial. Users looking for business
intelligence solutions might want to watch the progress of Palo.
In general, many OpenOffice.org and ODF related solutions are listed
on this wiki page."

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/odf_and_the_statistical_package

OpenDocument News Roundup

The Contradictory Nature of OOXML
---------------------------------
"During the first one-month step, any member may submit "contradictions,"
which, loosely defined, means aspects in which a proposed standard
conflicts with already adopted ISO/IEC standards and Directives.  Those
contradictions must then be "resolved" (which does not necessarily mean
eliminated), and these resolutions are then presented back to the members
during the second stage to consider as part of the voting package.
During this second, five-month step, other objections, questions and
comments can be offered by members. (For more detail on the rules
relating to contradictions and what can be raised during this phase,
see the excellent writeup at the OpenDocument Fellowship site.)"

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070117145745854

OOXML v. ODF: What a Week!
--------------------------
"It's been an unusually active week in the contest between already
ISO-adopted ODF and OOXML, as the latter moves through the first step of
the ISO the adoption process.  More specifically, Ecma submitted OOXML
to the ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 (JTC1) on January 5, starting
the clock on the traditional one-month "contradictions" period that
begins the "fast track" process in the JTC1.  However, OOXML is no
traditional specification, weighing in at over 6,000 pages.  During
this phase, eligible JTC1 members can note ways in which the proposed
standard overlaps other standards, fails to incorporate available ISO
standards, or otherwise does not meet ISO rules (a second, five month
period will begin on February 5, during which technical and other
objections may be raised)."

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070125060934582

EOOXML objections
-----------------
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections

A Review of the Wikipedia Article on ODF
"As I had done last week with the Wikipedia article on Office Open XML
(OOXML), I have taken a read through the article on OpenDocument Format
(ODF). My aim was to do some fact checking and make some suggestions on
some additional references that might be included. In some case I've made
additional usage or phrasing suggestions, but I have not endeavored to
do a full edit of the article.

In accordance with Wikipedia's Conflict of Interest guidelines, I will
put a link to this blog entry on the ODF article's Talk page. These
points are for the consideration of the volunteers editing the article,
to consider and do what they want with them. I'll probably repeat this
review on a quarterly basis."

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/01/review-of-wikipedia-article-on-odf.html

Accessibility tool with ODF support
-----------------------------------
People interested in accessibility tools with ODF support might want to
check out the EUAIN project:

http://braillenet.althosting.net/index.jsp
http://braillenet.althosting.net/converters/index.jsp

Microsoft's Alan Yates about ODF
http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/microsoft_s_alan_yates_about1

Clippings

* "Office 2007 a slow burner for businesses"
  http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61984518,00.htm

* German "federal center for political education" explains open source
  http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_federal_center_for_political

* "Amsterdam threatens move to open source"
  http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/amsterdam_threatens_move_to_open

Newsletter Archive