ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Norway mandates open formats

According to this article
<http://www.digi.no/php/art.php?id=501077>(Norwegian only, sorry) on
digi.no <http://www.digi.no/> the Norwegian government has mandated the use
of open document formats from January 1st, 2009. I'll give a brief overview
of what the article actually says.

There are three formats that have been mandated for all documentation
between authorities and users/partners, namely:

   - HTML for all public information on the Web.
   - PDF for all documents where layout needs to be preserved.
   - ODF for all documents that the recipient is supposed to be able to
   edit

Goverment, state and regional agencies, authorities and services *may* also
publish in other formats, but they *must* always publish in one of these
formats. The decree is retroactive, and by 2014 all documents published
prior to this decree *must* have been converted and made available in one of
the three formats.

While the decree doesn't mandate any format for internal documentation, I
still have hopes that every interested party will standardize on the same
formats for internal use as well, and it is also my hope that a real
competitive market for information systems is created.

Either way, for me as a dedicated user of Linux, proponent of open formats
and standards, this is delightful. I'll end it with a quote from our
minister for information technologies, Heidi Grande Røys, with some emphasis
added from my side:

Everyone should have equal access to public documents. *From 2009, every
citizen will be able to choose which software they want to use to get access
to public information. The goverment's decision will also improve the terms
of competition between software providers.* In the future, we will not
accept that govermental agencies lock the users of public information to
closed formats.

http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2007/12/norway-mandates-html-pdf-odf

--
http://users.ntua.gr/karounos/ - skype: karounos