ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

OLPC: The Open-Source Controversy

BusinessWeek

6/5/08
Steve Hamm
OLPC: The Open-Source Controversy

<clip>
But OLPC's open-source approach has put it in conflict over the years
with Microsoft and with government and educational leaders who want to
use tried-and-true software such as Microsoft's Windows.

This spring, Negroponte provoked a revolt
<http://www.olpcnews.com/software/windows/> in the ranks of his
employees and the open-source community when he agreed to produce a
version of the XO that runs Windows XP in addition to Linux. Also, he
criticized the Sugar software and referred to open-source advocates as
"fundamentalists" in press interviews.

<clip>

Even though I see the logic and philosphical consistency of making
open-source one of the key pieces of the OLPC project, I tend to agree
with the pragmatists. Several foreign government officials I spoke to
said it was very important to them to have Windows and thousands of
Windows-based applications on computers for their students. Other
countries had turned their backs on OLPC earlier because it didn't run
Windows. Under pressure from OLPC, Microsoft has offered a $3 pricetag
for Third-World schools for Windows and a package of educational and
productivity applications. So, when you strip all of the religious
debates away, the decision by OLPC to go with Windows was a response to
customer demand. That's how business works, and, if social enterprises
want to have major impacts, that's how they'll have to work, too.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/globespotting/archives/2008/06/olpc_the_open-s.html

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων