ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

FYI: Sugar overview

According to the BBC - following up on a report by AP - the first PCs
for the $100 One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project could be in the hands
of third-world users by July. However, you can easily try out the
laptop's operating system now!

All that's required is a couple of free downloads. One is the VMware
Player - a virtual operating system program that lets you run
pre-prepared operating systems. The other is the current beta version
of the OLPC's Unix-based XO operating system, with its Sugar
front-end.

At 29MByte, the Windows version of the VMware Player isn't a massive
download though the Linux versions are slightly bigger - 37.5MB for
the .rpm and 37MByte for the .tar.

OLPC's XO operating system is a rather heftier (and slower) download -
135MByte - and comes ready-wrapped courtesy of Tom Hoffman and his
Tuttle SVC blog.

This version is aimed at Windows users. We presume it's not suitable
for Linux - but we haven't tested that side of things.

However, we're told that it is okay for use with the free beta of
VMware Fusion running OS X on Intel Macs - thanks to Jonny M for the
heads-up.

Those who want Linux versions should check out the OS images for
emulations page of the OLPC Wiki, where there are also links to QEMU -
an alternative virtual OS app for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

Tom's wrapped-up version automatically fires up into a working version
of Sugar - and using VMware to load it lets you either revert to the
original downloaded state or save the current working state.

Unix-savvy user can interrupt the loading to choose a different target
than the auto-booting version of Sugar but that ruled us out.
http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7538

http://olpc.ellak.gr