ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Addressing the Future Internet...

Excellent commentary by Geoff Huston on future of the Internet ...

http://www.circleid.com/posts/addressing_the_future_internet/

Addressing the Future Internet
Feb 09, 2007 | Inside: Exploring Frontlines
Posted by Geoff Huston  Comments | Print | Email

The National Science Foundation of the United States and the Organisation
for Economic Co-operation and Development held a joint workshop on January
31, 2007 to consider the social and economic factors shaping the future of
the Internet. The presentations and position papers from the Workshop are
available online.

Is Internet incrementalism a sufficient approach to answer tomorrow's needs
for communications? Can we get to useful outcomes by just allowing research
and industry to make progressive marginal piecemeal changes to the
Internet's operational model? That's a tough question to answer without
understanding the alternatives to incrementalism. Its probably an equally
hard question to attempt to phrase future needs outside of the scope of the
known Internet's capabilities. Its hard to quantify a need for something
that simply has no clear counterpart in today's Internet. But maybe we can
phrase the question in a way that does allow some forms of insight on the
overall question. One form of approach is to ask: What economic and social
factors are shaping our future needs and expectations for communications
systems?

This question was the theme of a joint National Science Foundation (NSF) and
Organisation for Economic Co Operation and Development (OECD) workshop, held
on the 31st January of this year. The approach taken for this workshop was
to assemble a group of technologists, economists, industry, regulatory and
political actors and ask each of them to consider a small set of specific
questions related to a future Internet.

Thankfully, this exercise was not just another search for the next "Killer
App", nor a design exercise for IP version 7. It was a valuable opportunity
to pause and reflect on some of the sins of omission in today's Internet and
ask why, and reflect on some of the unintended consequences of the Internet
and ask if they were truly unavoidable consequences. Was spam a necessary
outcome of the Internet's model of mail delivery? Why has multi-lingualism
been so hard? Is network manageability truly a rather poor afterthought? Why
has Quality of Service proved to be a commercial failure? Can real time
applications sit comfortably on a packet switched network that is dominated
by rate adaptive transport applications? Why are trust and identity such
difficult concepts in this particular model of networking? How did we
achieve this particular set of outcomes with this particular Internet
framework? Can we conceive of a different Internet model where different
outcomes would've happened as naturally?

http://olpc.ellak.gr

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων