ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] GSoC 2017 - Interest for ZEUS project

  • Subject: Re: [opensource-devs] GSoC 2017 - Interest for ZEUS project
  • From: Panos Louridas <louridas [ at ] grnet [ dot ] gr>
> On 21 Mar 2017, at 14:41, Spyros Seimenis <sespiros [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
>
> Dear mentors,
>
> My name is Spyros Seimenis, I am an undergraduate student of computer engineering & Informatics department at University of Patras. My main fields of interest are infosec and software engineering and architecture. My background that is relevant to the project includes cryptography courses (from my school with some research on internet voting systems and from Dan Boneh @Coursera) and a 6-month internship at Amazon where I was working as a full-stack engineer using mainly rails.
>
> I saw the new ideas that were uploaded at the idea page and I was particularly interested in the "Separation in multiple independent services (Booth / Ballot box / Registry)". My questions are:
> 1) is there already a plan for the separation and is it mandatory to have experience in Django specifically?

As Zeus is a production-level software, we do not want to introduce new frameworks unless they are necessary or they bring a significant benefit. Multiplying the number of frameworks a product uses is fine for fun, but it is not fun when you have to turn the software to a team of administrators that have to cater for all these extra dependencies.

So the answer is not a definitive NO, but if the proposal concerns a web backend and the web backend is not Django, it must be clear why the proposed solution is much better than doing it in Django. Note that Django subsumes other things like, for instance, Django REST Framework.

> 2) should my proposal be a high level design of my idea (after some examination of the code) or more like a detailed design document where I should include the technology stack that I would potentially use?

That’s up to you.

πλ