ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Questions regarding Build Recorder performance improvements

  • Subject: Re: Questions regarding Build Recorder performance improvements
  • From: "Alexios Zavras" <zvr+eellak [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 14:31:57 +0100
Hi Alexandre, thanks for asking.

The build-recorder code, in its current state,
introduces an artificial barrier to multiple processes
running concurrently, since it is single-threaded.
Therefore, the goal of this GSoC project
is to try to improve the implementation
to be able to handle multiple processes.

To put it into an example:
"build-recorder gcc x.c" now runs fine;
"build-recorder make" is also fine
(recording everything make does,
processes being generated, etc.);
but "build-recorder make -j",
where make spawns processes in parallel
is effectively treated as the previous case,
since all recording is being done
in a single thread.

I am not sure I understood the question
about "specific method" for implementing
multi-threading. Can you explain?

Hope this helps,

--
-- zvr -