ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [GSoC] Clarification for "Exploring and Abstracting Triplestore Alternatives"

  • Subject: Re: [GSoC] Clarification for "Exploring and Abstracting Triplestore Alternatives"
  • From: "Alexios Zavras" <zvr+gsoc [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 12:04:53 +0200
Hi George, thanks for your interest and your questions.

On your first question, no, this is *not* about non-triplestores
like relational or NoSQL databases. This idea would made
for a nice project, but it's not what we're looking for here.
We are only talking about triplestore databases --
but there are a number of them out there.
As I've written before,  a web search can provide links
to things like Jena, Oxigraph, TerminusDB, Neo4J, ...
(and lots of non open-source ones, like AllegroGraph, GraphDB, etc.).

You are correct that SPARQL is usually a common way of interacting
with the data stored in them (although not always), but this is not enough.
Let me give the analogy in relational database systems:
for example all of PostgreSQL, MariaDB, SQLite or even Oracle
support SQL for interaction, but actually working with any of them
is different than working with another one: different calls to connect,
to specify database options, to actually provide the SQL and
get the results, etc. etc.
Therefore you need an abstraction layer, which for example
might be provided by something like JDBC or Python's DB API.

What this project is about is creating something similar
to this abstraction, but oriented towards triplestores.
So you could write your code using this,
and seamlessly exchange your triplestore implementation
(from Jena to Oxigraph, for example).
Is this clearer now?

Regarding the benchmarking, there is no focus on any specific use.
We will create some basic code to generate some data,
import them, query them, etc.

For the last point, the project idea was about a library
with a Python interface, since this would be both easier
to implement (since many databases provide Python connectivity)
and easier to use. I'm open t considering alternatives,
but I fear that the lack of already existing interfaces
might make the project too difficult -- for example,
if Rust were chosen, one might need to firstly create Rust libraries
to talk to each of the triplestores before creating an abstraction
to all of them.

--
-- zvr -

αναφορές