ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

FW: [Opensource] All Source Code Should Be Open

-----Original Message-----
From: opensource-admin [ at ] jcorporate [ dot ] com
[mailto:opensource-admin [ at ] jcorporate [ dot ] com]On Behalf Of Sandra Cann
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 6:52 AM
To: opensource [ at ] jcorporate [ dot ] com
Subject: [Opensource] All Source Code Should Be Open

Here is an article snip that was sent to me offlist that I thought you
might find interesting:

One bright spot in the industry, said Trappe, is open-source
development, with its emphasis on people reading each
other's code. The potential embarrassment of public ridicule
is probably a powerful motivation to get things right--or
even better, to write code that's impressively
craftsmanlike, rather than merely good enough. "There aren't
enough data points yet to be statistically significant, but
what we've seen so far suggests that open source code may
have much lower defect density than commercial
software--about 1 defect per 10,000 lines, about three times
better than we typically see," Trappe estimated.

(Read "All Source Code Should Be Open" by Charles Connell:)
http://eletters1.ziffdavis.com/cgi-bin10/flo?y=eTF50ELtce0E4K0suv0Af