ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[Fwd: I am looking for Open Source, GPL'ed, or similarly-licensed Greek Fonts]

  • Subject: [Fwd: I am looking for Open Source, GPL'ed, or similarly-licensed Greek Fonts]
  • From: Simos Xenitellis <simos74 [ at ] gmx [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:47:52 +0100
-----Forwarded Message-----
Από: Edward H. Trager <ehtrager στο umich τελεία edu>
Προς: Simos Xenitellis <simos74 στο gmx τελεία net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:50:10 -0400

Hi, Simos,

I am working on a new "Unicode Font Guide For Free/Libre Open Source Operating Systems" web guide:

    http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/unicode/fontguide/

This site is still very incomplete, but you can take a look at it.

I am wondering if you know of some good Greek *Unicode* fonts that are clearly licensed under
an Open Source, GPL, or similarly liberal license which you would recommend including on this page?

>From my brief perusal of the news about the August Open Source Developer Workshop  on your
http://www.ellak.gr website, it looks like Alexios Zavras spoke about fonts, encodings, and
"the lack of freely available Greek fonts and future steps in this direction".

So, does this mean there are not many freely available Greek fonts?

Note that the only Greek font I have listed on my site *so far* is one from
SIL International which is clearly good for ancient and biblical Greek.
But perhaps there will be an effort similar to the efforts in some other countries
to produce some GPL'ed or similarly-licensed fonts as part of a national, NGO, or grass-roots
Open Source effort?

-- Ed Trager
   Kellogg Eye Center
   Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA