ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[Fwd: [iosn-general] BSA Response to IOSN Primers]

  • Subject: [Fwd: [iosn-general] BSA Response to IOSN Primers]
  • From: Simos Xenitellis <simos74 [ at ] gmx [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:25:23 +0000
-----Προωθημένο Μήνυμα-----
From: Khairil Yusof
Subject: [iosn-general] BSA Response to IOSN Primers
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:32:02 +0800

Recently the BSA has written an 11 page letter as a response to several
of our published as well as upcoming FOSS primers. In the spirit of FOSS
we got their permission to publish their complete letter online:

http://www.iosn.net/foss-primers/bsa-response/

In their letter, they raised points such as:

Proprietary software vendors:

      * Have incentive to write secure software.
      * Do support interoperability with other software, including FOSS
        software with support of "open standards"

While the letter points out on the first page, that the BSA represents a
large group of vendors including IBM, a quick read of the letter will
quickly give you an idea which proprietary software vendor the BSA is
responding for.

The points they raised are valid (they ask for more proof). Well there
is enough that the EU has upheld their anti-competitive ruling against
Microsoft, and in our day to day use of FOSS software.

Unlike the BSA we here at IOSN, do not have highly paid lawyers to
respond to all their points. We do however have a FOSS community of
millions, and we invite you to help give your personal and official
comments and responses on the BSA response page.