From: Ben Laenen
To: Vangelis Karageorgos <vangelis στο osmosis τελεία gr>
Cc: Simos Xenitellis dejavu-fonts [ at ] lists [ dot ] sourceforge [ dot ] net
Subject: New Greek for DejaVu Serif
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:50:11 +0100

Attention all users of Greek in Serif: attached is the new version(s)
Vangelis Karageorgos has sent me.

There are two main versions included, and a lot of glyphs have
alternative shapes in each of them, so be sure to open it in fontforge
and look at those alternatives (they're in the out of bounds area,
you'll see them when you scroll all the way down).

So now I'd like your opinion: which alternative looks better/best?

It's of course a difficult question as there are so many uses for Greek.
Most important ones are writing modern Greek of course, mathematics and
other symbolic uses, IPA, and writing ancient (polytonic) Greek. But
you can give specific answers for all these uses.

I think a lot of OpenType magic can be applied here as well. We could
make use of locl features for example. Unfortunately maths or IPA don't
have script/language tags in OpenType, but Greek and Polytonic Greek
have. This would more or less mean that the default look should be
more "traditional", i.e. eta and chi with descenders. The modern Greek
could then have the descender-less glyphs.

Unfortunately, locl isn't exactly supported yet... (I've already
mentioned on IRC that we could "use" our Greek users to push for the
locl feature this way :-)

Anyway, just to say that there are a lot of options actually (they may
not work, but that's another problem), so if you have a specific ideas,
please tell so. We can always see later if it can be worked out
somehow.

Greetings
Ben

PS: sorry Vangelis, this has slipped out of my mind the past weeks, I'm
just so busy lately...