ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

A public consultation about access to European documents

A public consultation about access to European documents

A public consultation at the European Commission were open standards
supporters have to react before July 31, 2007

The European Commission has considered opening a public consultation
concerning the review of the rules on access to documents (Regulation
1049/2001), regarding public access to European Parliament, Council
and Commission documents.

The Green Paper is the starting point for this consultation, which
will allow any interested person, individual citizen, non governmental
organisation, association, economic operator, public authority or any
other organisation to have a say on this issue.

The consultation is on
http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/revision/index_en.htm and asks for
contributions by email.

It opened on 18 Avril and closes on 31 July 2007, but I heard of it
only on July 15, 2007. We don't have much time to react.

As of today (July 16, 2007), only very few contributions have been
sumitted, (only 22 divided as public sector (7), private sector (4),
non-governmental organisation (5), citizens contributions (6), other
organisations (0)). This could only be due to a lack of advertising on
such an important subject.

Both the content and the form of the publication are important. Today,
due to lack of time, I cannot react on the content, that needs more
time to study, and I suggest we al contribute.

I propose that our contributions go as follow for example, and

  1. on the process, ask for a longer time to react, until for
example December 31 2007 or even longer, outside of the always calm
summer period.
  2. on the form, ask for the use of open standards, as defined by
the European Interoperability Framework for pan-European eGovernment
Services (Version 1.0, 2004, page 9) for all information, be in
documents, video, sounds … published on the websites of the European
Commission,
  3. on neutrality, related to the previous point on open standards,
ask for the exclusive mention of software products based on functional
usages and absolutely no mention of commercial brands that could be
understood as advertising or support for such commercial brands by the
European Commission. Indeed, as we can read on today the consultation
website , the process explicitely mentions proprietary softwares, like
Microsoft Word and Outlook, as reported in the sentence //If you are
not a Microsoft Word user, you can download a PDF document and copy
the text of your contribution into that file. // and this is
unacceptable as it favor one company (or some) in particular.

Please copy the above 3 comments for example as well as others for
this public consultation, and send them as required to the email
address mentioned on
http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/revision/index_en.htm and send this
email also as copy (aka in cc.) to euconsultation [ at ] openstandards [ dot ] eu
http://www.openstandards.eu/campaignecwebsites