ΕΕΛ/ΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Open the Path

This is from South African Minister of Public Service and
Administration, Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi's address at the third, Idlelo
African Conference on FOSS and the Digital Commons.

The full text can be read at:

http://www.raffee.co.za/post/29079077

…This past year has been marked by a raising in the tension between the
traditional incumbent monopoly software players and the rising champions
of the Free Software movement in Africa. The flashpoints of conflict
have been particularly marked around the development and adoption of
open standards and growing concerns about software patents….

It is unfortunate that the leading vendor of office software, which
enjoys considerable dominance in the market, chose not to participate
and support ODF in its products, but rather to develop its own competing
document standard which is now also awaiting judgement in the ISO
process. If it is successful, it is difficult to see how consumers will
benefit from these two overlapping ISO standards. I would like to appeal
to vendors to listen to the demands of consumers as well as Free
Software developers. Please work together to produce interoperable
document standards. The proliferation of multiple standards in this
space is confusing and costly….

An issue which poses a significant threat to the growth of an African
software development sector (both Free Software and proprietary) is the
recent pressure by certain multinational companies to file software
patents in our national and regional patent offices. Whereas open
standards and Free Software are intended to be inclusive and encourage
fair competition, patents are exclusive and anti-competitive in their
nature. Whereas there are some industries in which the temporary
monopoly granted by a patent may be justified on the grounds of
encouraging innovation, there is no reason to believe that society
benefits from such monopolies being granted for computer program
“inventions”. The continued growth in the quantity and quality of Free
Software illustrates that such protection is not required to drive
innovation in software. Indeed all of the current so-called developed
countries built up their considerable software industries in the absence
of patent protection for software. For those same countries to insist on
patent protection for software now is simply to place protectionist
barriers in front of new comers. As the economist, Ha-Joon Chang,
observed: having reached the top of the pile themselves they now wish to
kick away the ladder.

African software developers have enough barriers to entry as it is,
without the introduction of artificial restrictions on what programs
they are and aren’t allowed to write. When Steven Biko wrote “I write
what I like” he was not referring to computer programs but it would
certainly be an apt motto for today’s generation of African Free
Software developers. It will become increasingly important for FOSSFA to
continue to lobby and mobilize to keep this intellectual space open.

One cannot be in Dakar without being painfully aware of the tragic
history of the slave trade. For three hundred years, the Maison des
Esclaves (Slave House) on Gorée Island, was a hub in the system of
forceful transportation of Africans as slaves to the plantations of the
West Indies and the southern states of America. Over the same period
people were being brought as slaves from the Malay Archipelago and
elsewhere to South Africa. The institution of slavery played such a
fundamental role in the early development of our current global economy,
that by the end of the 18th century, the slave trade was a dominant
factor in the globalised system of trade of the day.

As we find ourselves today in this new era of the globalised Knowledge
Economy there are lessons we can and must draw from that earlier era.
That a crime against humanity of such monstrous proportions was
justified by the need to uphold the property rights of slave owners and
traders should certainly make us more than a little cautious about what
should and should not be considered suitable for protection as property….

http://www.raffee.co.za/post/29079077

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων