ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[opensource-devs] Re: Ερωτήσεις για GSoC 2017 - FilesDB

  • Subject: [opensource-devs] Re: Ερωτήσεις για GSoC 2017 - FilesDB
  • From: Alexios Zavras <zvr+eellak [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 01:00:47 +0200
Christos Platis wrote [edited]:
> Γεια σου Αλέξη,

hi, thanks for your interest.
please use the mailing list opensource-devs [ at ] ellak [ dot ] gr
for discussions about the GSoC projects --
and use English, as there are people who do not speak Greek
(GSoC is a global programme).

> 	* το έχεις σκεφτεί ως multiplatform πρόγραμμα; Ποιές οι κύριες πλατφόρμες;

main platfrom would be Linux, definitely.
there's nothing stopping you developing it in a manner
that can run on other platforms like Microsoft Windows,
but not to the expense of performance.

the data should be exchangeable between platforms (and machines, obviously).

> 	* όταν λες ότι θα σκανάρονται αρχεία σε Git repos, τι ακριβώς εννοείς; Τι
> πληροφορίες από το repo θα αποθηκεύονται;

scanning a repo should be analogous to scanning a directory tree;
the information of the files in the repo (as the ones in the tree)
should be collected and stored in the database.

> 	* ποιοί τύποι αρχείων / αλγόριθμοι συμπίεσης θα υποστηρίζονται;

typical arhive types should be tar and zip;
typical compressions should be gz, bz2, xz.
I would assume that whatever is implemented
would be extensible enough to add other alternatives later.

> 	* θα γίνεται αναζήτηση και στα περιεχόμενα των αρχείων;

no, there will be no searching in the content of files
(searching for specific bytes) -- but there may be searches
for the complete file content (as defined by a hash)

> 	* το σκανάρισμα θα γίνεται μόνο από CLI ή και από το Web UI;

everything is CLI;  web interface can be read-only
on previously populated databases, for start.

> 	* ποιά (ή ποιές) η άδεια χρήσης;

the exact license will be determined once the components used
are fixed; otherwise incompatibilities may occur.

> Για το σχήμα της βάσης δεν έχω κάτι ιδιαίτερο να πω. Τα hashes μου "λένε"
> JSON, αλλά δεν ξέρω αν είναι η βέλτιστη λύση, τουλάχιστον για SQlite.

hashes (which can be treated as hex strings) are perfectly storable
in text columns in a DB; you don't need JSON for those.

you should start preparing your proposal and submit it as draft
via the GSoC mechanims, so that we can review it.

--
-- zvr --