ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

[opensource-devs] Re: GSOC 2017, greek fonts

Hi Max,

> Maximilian Holl wrote [edited]:
>> I think three fonts with single weight are realistic in accordance with the
>> workload.
>
> I'll let Irene, as the expert, to comment on the work load.

I’d believe that on a 30h bases in a week, for 3 months, it made more sense to work on one family of 4-6 weights/styles.
It’s an average of one weight per two weeks which is more than enough think for someone with basic knowledge in typedesign
to familiarise him/herself with the Greek script and run it through us for help and ideas.

Also working on a single family it would be more helpful for you to get more familiar with the contrast of they Greek forms and how it works in different styles and weights.

>> What about the scope of greek glyphs? Are there monotonic or polytonic
>> glyphs?  Is it my choice to select the scope of the greek glyphs?
>
> yes, in your proposal you can select how many fonts/typefaces
> you will be extending and what will the breadth of your work
> (monotonic or polytonic).
>

>> On Google Fonts for example you can choose between greek extended and
>> greek.
>> I could not find any difference between them.
>
> the "extended Greek" (polytonic) is (as the word implies) an extension
> of the "simple Greek" (monotonic); they have some additional characters.
> the most user visible ones are vowels with more accents
> (modern Greek only uses one accent).

About character sets, have a look at the updated charsets that we set up for Google this year,
https://github.com/google/fonts/tree/master/tools/encodings/GF%20Glyph%20Sets/Greek <https://github.com/google/fonts/tree/master/tools/encodings/GF%20Glyph%20Sets/Greek>
I think for this project the GF Greek Core or the GF Greek Plus would be enough.

best,
Irene

αναφορές

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων