ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] Addition of Greek glyphs in Open Source Fonts

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for responding to the call for this GSOC project. For the time being there is no need to work more on Lobster or to sent us any more sketches. Priority is to apply on time and upload a draft as soon as possible (according to GSOC description) so we can guide you through if help is needed. In your proposal is important to add a detailed timetable of goals and achievements for the time provided by the GSOC program. This is last years time schedule: https://github.com/eellak/gsoc17-Eczar/blob/master/TIMELINE.md <https://github.com/eellak/gsoc17-Eczar/blob/master/TIMELINE.md>

Ideas about type families from the Google Library; as you said Greek display fonts is something that is lacking from the Google library and personally I would support a project like that. My only comment about Lobster as a choice is that it’s a single weight font and for the time that the GSOC program is running, submitting a single weight font is not extremely satisfying. Two ways around it, either you go for the family version of the project, Lobster Two that has 4 weights or you work on this single weight font with a full ligature set as it has been done with Latin and Cyrillic. That means that you add to the basic Greek Monotonic set of 78 glyphs more or less 180 ligature characters extra. I’m not sure if it that makes sense but it is something you should consider.

About the technical part, have a look at last years project Eczar by Emilios https://github.com/eellak/gsoc17-Eczar <https://github.com/eellak/gsoc17-Eczar>
Emilios was working on UFO files, because these were the source files that Google provide us with and he was making testing font files in OTF format. This is something that is not really important since the final merging in the actual Google Font Library is something that is going to be taken care of by Google Type Team itself. What is required from you is: A full character set, designed, spaced, kerned. Any OpenType features that are required by the design and in every stage testing font files and samples of your work (PDF etc). The fonts need to be worked on Glyphs or Robofont and we should try to keep the same kind of source files with the original designer. That will help merging and not loosing any information from the source file.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Best,
Irene

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 20:25, Λυδία Παπακωνσταντίνου <lydpapac [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
>
> Hello opensource-devs,
>
> My name is Lydia and I am a student in the Department of Graphic Design and Visual Communication in the Advanced Technological Educational Institute of Athens (ATEI). I am interested in participating in the project that involves adding Greek glyphs on open source fonts. Due to my major I have some experience with glyph design and font creation. I am particularly interested in working on google fonts and my approach in this project would be towards display and script fonts because this is where, in my opinion variety lacks most. However I am open to suggestions on other font types or even specific font families that might be useful to expand. I have done some draft sketches after looking at the latin glyphs, and later moved on to computer illustration designs (which I include in this email) of most greek letter glyphs for Lobster, which is one of the fonts I consider working on. This is obviously by no means a finished design but I wanted to present a few ideas on my approach. The glyphs I designed are mostly individuals and not in bonds but if this particular font was to be completed I would work on adding those as well. To conclude I would like to ask if there are any further information and/or limitations I should know about for this project. For instance, specifications as to the file type the fonts need to be exported on (TrueType, OpenType, Postscript, multiple etc) and such.
> I would love to know your opinion on my work and obviously any pointers and corrections are welcome.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Lydia Eleftheria Papaconstantinou
> Graphic Design Student
> in ATEI of Athens
>
> lydpapac [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com <mailto:lydpapac [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
>
> gd14009 [ at ] teiath [ dot ] gr <mailto:gd14009 [ at ] teiath [ dot ] gr><Lobster drafts.pdf>
> ----
> Λαμβάνετε αυτό το μήνυμα απο την λίστα: Γενική λίστα αλληλογραφίας που απευθύνεται σε developers/contributors έργων ανοικτού λογισμικού - A general discussion list for developers/contributors of open-source projects,
> https://lists.ellak.gr/opensource-devs/listinfo.html
>
> Μπορείτε να απεγγραφείτε από τη λίστα στέλνοντας κενό μήνυμα ηλ. ταχυδρομείου στη διεύθυνση <opensource-devs+unsubscribe [ at ] ellak [ dot ] gr>.

αναφορές

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων