ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Εκδήλωση Ενδιαφέροντος

Hi Chryssoula, thanks for your interest!

Please use English on this list, as it includes people
who do not know Greek.

Last questions answered first: yes, you will work with one or more mentors
who will communicate with you regularly to help and support you.
All the projects are individual projects, you will be working on it
by yourself. Please read carefully all the details in the Student's Manual:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/guide#student_manual

Now, to hashesDB: I must admit that the idea of a Bloom filter
was not in my mind for this project at all.
I can understand why you would think about it,
since we are talking about different hash functions.
However, keep in mind that these hash functions,
although theoretically can produce conflicts,
in almost every real-world case produce a unique hash.

It would be nice to see whether the database querying
for an exact match on a hash value could be improved
by something like a probabilistic query on a piece of the hash
(like Bloom). I'd suspect that the exact properties that
make these hash function appropriate for rare collisions
would make any attempt of selecting bits of them pointless.

But we digress... no, the idea is not to have Bloom filters;
rather the project can be limited to check for exact matches only.

--
-- zvr -

αναφορές

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων