ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Technology stack change for the sch-webapps project

  • Subject: Re: Technology stack change for the sch-webapps project
  • From: Foteini Tsiami <fottsia [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 06:52:58 +0200
Hello Giorgos,

thank you for your interest in sch-webapps.
If this project is selected in this gsoc,
then teachers will continue to develop it afterwards,
and there's a good chance that it will be extended,
to be used in mobile phones by students without involving a teacher pc.

We realized that nodejs-to-apk frameworks, for example androidjs,
are much more common than python-to-apk frameworks,
and since noone has filed an application task yet,
we decided to do that technology change, which is now irreversible.

The python part would be a lot smaller than the javascript anyway;
python would provide the server, while most of the processing would happen on javascript, and now with nodejs a single programming language
knowledge is required, so it'll even be easier to maintain it long-term.