ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

GSoC 2021: HashesDB

Greetings everyone,

My name is Vassilis Xanthopoulos and I am an undergraduate student at the National Technical University of Athens currently pursuing a degree in
Electrical and Computer Engineering. Reading through the project ideas for GSoC 2021, the hashesDB project caught my eye and I have a question
about a certain aspect of it.

Is there any benefit in storing multiple hashes in the database for a single file instead of just one? I have some possible answers in mind including
* Using an optimal hash function for each file type
This doesn't require storing all hashes for all files though, just the right hash for each file
* Collision detection
I believe it's very improbable to find collisions in our data, provided we use appropriate hash functions (maybe it's even a feature, since we would like
some locality properties in our hash functions). All around it feels like a long shot.

* Providing the flexibility of using various hash function to digest a file and query the database.
I consider this option to be a nice-to-have feature rather than a reason on it's own to add so much redundant information in the database.
Thanks in advance,
Vassilis.