ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: GSoC 2021: HashesDB

Hello again Alex,

I understand there is a trade-off between facilitating the querying process as
you said and keeping the space requirements for this service reasonable.
If we think about the other extreme case, we end up storing all possible hashes
(at least the ones in the multihash table) for a file. This will make our
service very space demanding.

I believe there is a sweet spot where we store the `N` most 'appropriate' hashes
(whatever appropriate means in our context), where `N` is enough to give some
flexibility to the user and not make our service cumbersome. Is this pre-decided
or open for discussion?

Also, regarding ssdeep and fuzzy hashing. We can always perform the fuzzy part
of this process in the application level, but is there any merit in choosing a
Database System that implements 'fuzzy querying'? It would be nice to be able to
search the database in an 'edit-distance like way' where we select all entries
with distance at most X from our input. I did some research on this idea and I
found out there are some implementations of it, and maybe even ways to
implement it in in a normal SQL environment.

Vassilis.

αναφορές

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων