ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Backend management system for node-red instances

Greetings everyone!

I am Sravanth Chebrolu, an undergraduate pursuing electrical engineering.
After several days of digging through many project ideas I found something
that fits my skill set very well. I would be elated to spend my summer
working on the backend management system for node-red instances for gsoc
2022.

I have prior experience in backend systems written in Node.js, and have
worked with containers as well. For the given project explanation, I could
see the following tech stack being used

1. API server: Express.js
2. Database: MongoDB
3. Containers: Docker

If the mentors would allow me, I would like to get to know more about the
project's scope to gauge the complexities involved. From what I've
gathered, it looks like we need to design the backend from scratch to
spawn, destroy and deploy new (annotated) node-red containers, and a
database is needed to keep track of the deployed instances. I have a few
questions regarding the same

1. Is the end goal of this project to create a public facing server that
anyone can create node-red instances on or just meant to be used locally to
manage multiple node-red instances?
2. If containers are going to be used, will there be garbage collection
checks run every so often to ensure that dead containers are cleaned? Or
will that be left for the end user to decide when to clean their instances?

Hoping to hear from the mentors regarding this!

Sincerely,
Sravanth Chebrolu.