ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

GSoC project Build recorder info

Hi all -- and especially Harshil and Georgios who asked about the "build recorder" project.
Apologies for the late followup, I was without access to my email for a few days.

So, the project idea is about a completely new software,
not improvements to an already existing one.
As such, there is no repository with already existing code
that can be examined -- you will be starting from scratch.

Let me try to provide some information, expanding on what
is written on the wiki page:
The idea is that, after a "build" process has been run,
we would like to have a record of what has been performed.
Let's start from a simple example (I assume you know basic C):
if one runs something like "gcc -o foo foo.c",
we would like to have recorded that
- the file foo.c was used
- the file foo was created
- the exact command was "..." (the above one);
  or alternatively that there were no options to the compiler.

But, in order to keep an accurate record, we also need to keep
more information. For example:
- the file foo.c that was used has content hash of 123456abcdef
- the compilation also read file /usr/include/stdio.h, with content hash 456...
- the compiler executable used was a binary with content hash abc...
- etc., etc.

Now, this is a simple compilation of a single file, in C.
Imagine the same for more complex build systems, other languages, etc.
The project description is purposefully open-ended,
because the applicant should provide their own ideas,
approach and direction to where they want to drive this
(as a basic example, they might know some programming language
but not some other).

Things that can be studied that are of relevance:
- the whole "reproducible builds" idea (although they go further)
- https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear, a similar project

Hope this helps,
Feel free to follow-up on this email to the list for more discussion.

-- zvr -