ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: FW: Google Summer Code 2024

[adding the list to cc, as the answer might be helpful to others]

The mentors do more "mentoring" than project management ;-)

The idea is that the candidate has submitted a proposal,
in which they describe what they plan to do, how the plan to do it
(in rough terms) and, most importantly, a schedule:
clear work breakdown with milestones and deadlines.
A very rough example, might be:
- before coding begins: familiarize myself with technologies
- week 1: explore alternative 1, which is...
- week 2: complete alternative 1 and corresponding tests
- week 3: implement alternative 2 and tests
etc.
Obviously, for other projects which are not about exploring alternatives
the goals would be different: implement this part in week 1,
that part in week 2, integrate that in week 3, etc.

The proposal will be reviewed (ideally in draft stage,
so that improvements can be made), and, if accepted,
it will serve as a guideline to what should happen in the summer.
Deviations are always possible (we're doing software!),
but the general plan should be as proposed.

So, there is no much "project management" and "assigning tasks"
during summer. The plan is known, and the candidate is supposed
to work on what they had proposed.

The mentoring part is providing help to them: from discussing
and answering questions, all the way to code reviewing and fixing.

Now, to your second question: I expect a proposal
to definitely include what will be done with some details.
The project is about analyzing and abstracting triplestore alternatives;
a number of them have to be discovered and mentioned
in the proposal. A simple web search can provide links
to things like Jena, Oxigraph, TerminusDB, Neo4J, ...
(and lots of non open-source ones, like AllegroGraph, GraphDB, etc.).
A candidate should take a look at what is available
and propose how they will investigate the use of each one
and how to combine them.

As a general rule: please don't wait until last moment to submit
a proposal! By providing a draft, you give us the possibility
to comment on it and provide feedback, so that it can be improved.

Hope this helps,

--
-- zvr -

αναφορές