ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Query regarding the PackageInfo WebApp Project

Hi,

You are correct that the goal of this project is produce software,
not deploy or provide a service.

As such, the project has nothing to do with a centralized database
keeping data for others. This would imply a service and introduces
a number of other problems, which are not part of this project.

I think it would be easier to have the software based on abstractions
like "get_list_of_packages", "get_package_details" and
"get_package_source", which can be implemented for various distributions.
By far the easiest way to implement these are by using
the package managers -- that's what they were implemented for.
Trying to reverse engineer all of them to find out how they work
and develop software to use the underlying data is much more work,
resulting in much more fragile code.

I, personally, know the details of Debian packages,
but I am blissfully ignorant when it comes to other distributions.

I do not rule out this idea, but be prepared to spend a LOT of time
documenting and implementing lots of package manager functionality
for something that is a secondary task of the project.
Because you will obviously not simply _use_ the "DB files" as you write;
you would have to write code to find out which these are
and fetch them, etc.

I'd hate to see student fail their project because they got too
much to do on a side task.

--
-- zvr -

αναφορές