ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

GSOC 2024 - Greeklish-to-Greek: Development of an open-source and state-of-the-art toolkit

Greetings all,

My name is Alexandros Agrafiotis, and I am a third-year student
majoring in Electrical
and Computer Engineering at the University of Thessaly
<https://www.e-ce.uth.gr/?lang=en>.
I am sending this email to express my interest in the project
"*Greeklish-to-Greek:
Development of an open-source and state-of-the-art toolkit*".

I believe that my genuine interest for the project, coupled with my
developing skills in the related fields of NLP and Deep Learning, as well
as my excitement and motivation to further grow as a researcher and
engineer, would make me a great candidate for this project

I am currently taking elective courses on *Deep Learning *and *Natural
Language Processing*, where we discuss the fundamental theory behind NLP
and tackle problems using the *PyTorch* framework. This experience has
sparked my interest in further pursuing those academic fields.

Also, I am currently working as an intern engineer for the networking
laboratory of my department, called NITLab <https://nitlab.inf.uth.gr/> ,
in order to acquire experience in the general field of software engineering
(you can find my resume attached to this email).

Furthemore, I hold a strong interest in *linguistics* and the study of
language and literature. I am an award-winning writer, with my greatest
achievement being an Award of Excellence given by the Hellenic Parliament
for a short story titled "The Phoenix".

In order to prepare a meaningful proposal, I would need some further
information:

   - In the proposed idea page, it is mentioned that "*Our team has
   researched and developed state-of-the-art Greeklish-to-Greek methods
   utilizing Transformer NLP models*", but I cannot seem to find any
   relevant information about this. Is there a paper or any research material
   that you could provide?
   - It is also mentioned that this project can be integrated within a
   larger NLP toolkit. Is that strongly preferred by the mentors, and if so,
   should that be considered when writing the proposal?

Regards,
Alexandros Agrafiotis