ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] Interested in the GSoC project: Files DB

  • Subject: Re: [opensource-devs] Interested in the GSoC project: Files DB
  • From: Alexios Zavras <zvr+eellak [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 00:08:35 +0100
Chirath R wrote [edited]:
> I am interested in working on the project FilesDB and It would be great to
> get feedback.

thanks for your interest!

> Since it's mentioned on the Ideas page of Files DB[0] that it would be
> worthwhile to provide a Web interface, I would like to implement it using
> Python-Django framework. Django ORM will make it easy to use most of the
> database servers including SQLite out of the box.
>
> The command line utility can be separate from the Django application and
> can use a rest API to communicate to the server. The os module in Python
> can be used to get the meta-data about the files, and hashes can be taken
> using various python packages.

please keep in mind that the first goal is the command-line utility;
the web interface would be a nice add-on, but do not focus on that
at the expense of the basic functionality.

> I have gone through the notes provided at github.com/zvr/filesdb [3] and
> have few queries regarding the project idea.
>
>    - It's mentioned that `Individual SQLite files seem to be the perfect
>    point between functionality and complexity`., does that mean the command
>    line utility should create an SQLite file for the first scan of a folder?

yes, that's correct

>    - Should subsequent scans on different folder update the DB with changes
>    or create a new DB file?

every scan (or other command) should take an argument specifying the database
to be used.  if the same file is given as an argument, the data are added
to this database; if a different file is given, a new database would be created

>    - What could be the search criteria that can be used to search a file?

something related to the data stored, so name, path, checksum, size...
and ideally combinations of those.

>    - Can the web server handle the various questions that can be asked
>    about the file: how many files, how many files larger than X etc. or should
>    it be handled by the command line utility.

again, do not focus on the web server.
while it would be nice to have, the project should definitely
*not* depend on such a technology to operate.

--
-- zvr --