ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Addition of Greek glyphs in Open Source Fonts

Hi Artemis,

I agree with what Alexios wrote, there is a trademark violation here, and more importantly official Tahoma does contain greek :) so it ’s a bit funny to redesign Tahoma greek under a difference license system, no?

Anything from google fonts would be appropriate and at this stage there is no need to send samples of work to evaluate your design skills. Having said that it is a requirement to have previous experience with typedesign and typedesign applications, since designing fonts isn’t just learning to use an appropriate application. There is loads of postproduction work to happen to these files, and if the project ends successfully and google decides to publish the font on their library, it will be needed extra work and collaboration with the typedesign team of Google.

Please have a look at the previous years proposed timetables and project proposals.

Best,
Irene

> On 3 Apr 2019, at 10:40, Άρτεμις Γεωργοπούλου <artemis [ dot ] georgopoulou [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
> I didn't receive any replies from Irene so I assume she shares your concerns.
>
> So I'm thinking of modifying my proposal to target some fonts from
> https://fonts.google.com <https://fonts.google.com/> as you originally mentioned.
> I'm familiar with font editing, but I have no previous work to
> demonstrate, other than the few Tahoma glyphs that I uploaded in
> https://github.com/artemisge/gsoc2019/ <https://github.com/artemisge/gsoc2019/>.
>
> Would it make sense for me to select a font from
> https://fonts.google.com <https://fonts.google.com/> and prepare some glyphs, to show the quality
> of my work?
> If so, any suggestion on which one?
>
> Kind regards,
> Artemis
>
> Στις Τρί, 26 Μαρ 2019 στις 12:50 π.μ., ο/η Alexios Zavras
> <zvr+gsoc [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr <mailto:zvr+gsoc [ at ] zvr [ dot ] gr>> έγραψε:
>>
>> Irene is the primary mentor for this task,
>> but I personally think this is not a worthwhile task.
>>
>> Wine can easily get Greek letters if they use another font
>> that contains the appropriate glyphs and call than "Tahoma"
>> (which of course violates a Microsoft trademark).
>> There is a number of suitable fonts, and I am sure
>> some of them could be made metric-compatible
>> to the original Tahoma without resulting into unreadable mess...
>>
>> The idea behind the task is to enhance typefaces
>> like the ones found in https://fonts.google.com (among others)
>> which are widely used and not application-specific.
>
> ----
> Λαμβάνετε αυτό το μήνυμα απο την λίστα: Λίστα αλληλογραφίας και συζητήσεων που απευθύνεται σε φοιτητές developers \& mentors έργων του Google Summer of Code - A discussion list for student developers and mentors of Google Summer of Code projects.,
> https://lists.ellak.gr/gsoc-developers/listinfo.html <https://lists.ellak.gr/gsoc-developers/listinfo.html>
>
> Μπορείτε να απεγγραφείτε από τη λίστα στέλνοντας κενό μήνυμα ηλ. ταχυδρομείου στη διεύθυνση <gsoc-developers+unsubscribe [ at ] ellak [ dot ] gr <mailto:gsoc-developers+unsubscribe [ at ] ellak [ dot ] gr>>.

αναφορές

πλοήγηση μηνυμάτων