ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] [GSoC] Clio - Questions

Ηλίας Σταμάτης wrote [edited]:
> > no, it's not administrators only.
> > think of it as:
> > - few ("admins" as you call them) (let's say 10), can modify the catalog
> >   of simple components (adding zlib, openssl, etc.)
> > - some ("owners" if you will) (let's say 1000), can create complex
> >   components and have permissions to modify their own components
> > - all ("viewers"?) (let's say 100.000) can view the information.
> >   for them, even login may not be required.
>
> So to recap and see if I get it right:
> - Everybody can sign up.
> - If you have an account but not any permissions you can actually do
> nothing.
> - Admins will manage contents through the admin panel. (I'm planning to use
> django that comes with a complete admin panel by default)
> - Owners will manage content through the normal web page (no access to the
> admin panel for them).

what is the functionality of "admin panenl"?
it's not a unique thing.
- "user management" functionality should be restricted to "user admins"
  (there is no need for a "sign up" functionality)
- "catalog management" functionality shuold be restricted to "catalog admins"
- "management of project X" functionality shuold be restricted to
  "owners of project X"
- and of course, "CLIO management" (starting/stopping the server,
  configuring the database, ...) should be restricted to "CLIO admins"

that's a typical case where the bulk of all this is handled
by permission bits and group membership in LDAP
(user X is member of "user admins" and "catalog admins"
but not "clio admins", etc.).
only the "management of project X" access bits (who is owner of what)
has to be done internally in CLIO (cannot be done on LDAP).

> Follow-up questions:
> - An owner owns what?
> - How somebody get to be an owner?
> - Who gives permissions and on which case?

all complex components are created and "owned" by someone.

think of it this way: each complex component has a table
of what it includes -- it's like a spreadsheet.
CLIO is a web system for online management of spreadsheets.

- whoever creates a new spreadsheet, owns it.
- you can see all spreadsheets, you can change your spreadsheets,
  but you cannot change *my* spreadsheets
- user and permission management (who can login and do what),
  and catalog management (what can be entered in the spreadsheets)
  are special functionalities (as is server management)

the "ideal" final result regarding permissions
would be that everything is totally configurable,
because whoever runs CLIO might decide differently on some cases

- you can configure (upon software setup) to use LDAP or not
  (i.e., whether user/permissions will be managed internally or externally)
- you can configure whether read-only access requires login or not
  (maybe you want everythig viewable by defaul)
- you can configure whether anyone (once logged in) can create
  new complex components or not (or have an access bit)
- you can configure whether new complex component are visible to all
  by defauilt or not
- you can configure whether the access rights and visibilty
  of components can be modified by the component owners or by the CLIO admins
- etc. etc.,

but implementing all this is not mandatory,
as it's not the core of the project.

some of it is obviously necessary (e.g. the idea of component owners
or catalog admins), but we can decide how much to extend towards the ideal
depending on how the rest of the work is going.

--
-- zvr --