ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] Adding Greek language to Spacy - Project Proposal

  • Subject: Re: [opensource-devs] Adding Greek language to Spacy - Project Proposal
  • From: Panos Louridas <louridas [ at ] grnet [ dot ] gr>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:11:59 +0200
Two things:

* There exists a Greek sentiment lexicon, developed in the context of a EU-funded project: https://github.com/MKLab-ITI/greek-sentiment-lexicon

* The blog on Eurotalk mentions that Greek has 5 million words, while English has 170000. The reference for Greek is given to be the Guinness Book of Records. I don’t know if it really says anything like that, but it is not a scientific publication. Anyway, it is not easy to count words, see https://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/06/counting_words. Moreover, if you include words like those found in Homeric poems, I am sure you can come up with an impressive number about a language that is more difficult to understand to most Greeks than English. For what’s worth you can also look the Wikipedia entry on number of words in different languages, keeping in mind that what count as a “word” varies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dictionaries_by_number_of_words.

* BTW, a source of new words may be online forums. I doubt existing dictionaries have words like “μπανάρω”.

Best,

πλ