ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: Interested in Enhancement of SmAuto DSL and integration into HomeAssistant Project

  • Subject: Re: Interested in Enhancement of SmAuto DSL and integration into HomeAssistant Project
  • From: Chai Ying Goh <cygohhh [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:20:20 +0800
Hi Mentors,

I've completed a blog post demonstrating a simple home automation project
using SmAuto and an ESP32 microcontroller. You can find it here:
https://github.com/cygoh99/GSoC-Enhancement-of-SmAuto-DSL/blob/main/blog/simple-demo-esp32.md

While interacting with SmAuto I found out that the SmAuto `validate`
generated error messages are not user friendly. I dive into the codebase
and also learn about the textX then I've made some improvements to
highlight syntax errors:
https://github.com/cygoh99/smauto/commit/3c40e52d5d53f8318b90b4eecd1a7ecdca1b643d

I'd like to discuss a few aspects of my project proposal:
1) About the virtual entity to support REST api. My proposed approach
involves a REST model (similar to Broker) where users define URL, methods,
and params.
2) Virtual Entity for the MQTT RPCs .These will resemble the Entity model,
linked to a broker, with distinct request and response topics.
3) For condition, delays/switch. I'm seeking guidance on whether there are
existing models for these, or if we need to finalize a structure.
4) Extra enhancement which I proposed is adding RT data storage by
integrating with influxdata.

The detail of implementation is in the proposal
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WPSV3SAmEyjpYg_1ky7DYqQaDwyH9T-uqF3WlQCVzjg/edit?usp=sharing

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and comments.

Thank you,
GohCY

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 3:28 AM Chai Ying Goh <cygohhh [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

> [...]
>> (gen / genv) commands.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Kostas
>> On 8/3/24 01:47, Chai Ying Goh wrote:
>>
>> Hi Manos,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. I tried to run the simple example
>> under examples/simple_example. When I try to execute the mode with the
>> command `smauto interpret simple_model.smauto`.
>> I face this error:
>> ```
>> Usage: smauto [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...
>> Try 'smauto --help' for help.
>>
>> Error: No such command 'interpret'.
>> ```
>>
>> Also cloud you provide how the smauto-dsl docker images works.
>> I run the docker images and open localhost:8080 on my browser, it
>> displays empty json.
>>
>>  Regards,
>> gohcy
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 4:45 PM Manos Tsardoulias <etsardou [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Chai,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your interest! Let's go directly to the questions:
>>>
>>>    - Regarding the current status of the project: Right now, the SmAuto
>>>    DSL is in a stable version and you can write models, validate them and
>>>    generate Python code, which can be executed. I believe you know the
>>>    HomeAssistant project already, since it is one of the most well known open
>>>    source projects for smart environments. The task is to merge these two by
>>>    writing a HomeAssistant module.
>>>    - "*Regarding the addition of virtual entities, should I implement
>>>    the communication protocol through commlib, or is it already integrated,
>>>    requiring only connection with the .smauto model?*" Right now we
>>>    have only hardware sensors and effectors in the SmAuto definitions. We
>>>    desire to allow for "virtual sensors" as well (i.e. a REST call via which
>>>    we retrieve data, or an RPC call), so no, these virtual entities do not
>>>    currently exist.
>>>    - Concerning auxiliary concepts, right now the base modules of
>>>    SmAuto are Entities and Automations. We want to enhance this by adding some
>>>    more complex (and better) control on when and how the automations are
>>>    starting/stopping, and that's why we need explicit conditions, delays etc.
>>>    - For generalizing the DSL's concepts we need to change the
>>>    metamodel, its validation mechanism and the code generation, so no, this is
>>>    not about formatting or functions. If you want to get a better grasp over
>>>    this subject you can search about Model Driven Engineering.
>>>    - Concerning writing a HA module, please check here:
>>>    https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/add-ons/tutorial/
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Manos

>>> --
>>> Emmanouil G. Tsardoulias
>>> PhD, Electrical Engineer
>>> Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Faculty of Engineering
>>> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
>>> Tel.: +302310995922
>>> http://users.auth.gr/etsardou/