ΕΕΛΛΑΚ - Λίστες Ταχυδρομείου

Re: [opensource-devs] Proposals - filesDb

Good moring,

> interesting that you should point out the number of files as a
> differentiation
> criterion: why do you think C would be handling them better than Python?
> and why do you think if speed is a priority, C should be chosen?

Well,
first of all Python code is interpreted and there are many reasons that
python is slower than c(like calculations(*,/,+), python needs more time to
be executed) . But in our project it isn't all about the language. We
should select cleaver techniques to solve the problem and implement
commands with an efficient way. What I enjoy doing is to select a lot of
solutions for a problem and pick the best(based on complexity and memory
space etc). In this way we will not have problem with the speed of our
application and your note is quite right. But theoritically if we have the
exact same implementations in c and python our application will be faster
in c. System calls will behaved better than python code.
On the other hand if we want to handle better our meta-data we should
select C. It is very powerfull and with system calls we can optimize many
things better than Python. I am quit familiar with c and system calls.
In my opinion Python is ideal for our project. I thnik that students and
scientists prefer Python to work with. In this way our application will
have a better impact and it can be used from a variety of people. The goal
is to build an open source appliaction that everyone can have an
easy-access to use it and can interact with it easily.

although data mining is useful in many domains, it has nowadays
> become a buzzword, like machine learning;
> what do you think "data mining" would produce
> more than the already specified "produce statistics" functionality?
> I understand than it could "mine" the information that files
> ending in .mp3 are typically larger than file ending in .c
> but smaller than files ending in .mp4, but that's not really novel info...

I see your point. Having not a prior experience in data mining i can't
answer to all these questions. I study this semester data mining and i find
it interesting. I think that we can use some techniques in our application.
As i have told you i will be more specific in about 2-3 months(i don't want
to note something wrong)

although a rudimentary web interface would indeed be easy to build,
> one should actually consider the use case and its deployment
> and answer questions like: where does it run?  does it need
> and external webserver?  if it's on a remote machine, how are
> the databases accessed? etc. etc.
> or one could go towards the idea of implementing a server
> that provides the raw data via an interface, and have
> the web interface part be a separate program.
> lots can be done in this space, but all should come after
> the complete command-line utility.

Well there are a lot of options. For example we can built a site that the
user can have his  own account and scan it's files from his computer. The
meta-data will be saved in a data base. This data base can placed in his
computer or in our machine. There are disadvantages and advantages of each
solution. In my proposal i consentrate more in console application than web
interfance. Do you think that i should go ahead ?

What is more, i have made a draft proposal. I have completed the
introduction section. Can I publish my proposal(as darft) or should I
finished all the parts ? I think that i will have finished my proposal by
the end of this week. But i want to publish it earlier and present some
parts so as to get your feedback.

Thank you again for your reply and your time,
Panagiotis Petropoulakis

Απαλλαγμένο
από ιούς. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>